Fall Lawn Care To-Do's
September is here, which means summer is over and fall is right around the corner! It’s important to make sure to take care of your yard and prepare it for winter, if lawn care is a requirement under your lease. If you don’t take care of these responsibilities, you could lose your rent credit!
Here are a few reminders about lawn maintenance tasks that need to be taken care of:
-Mow the lawn
-Rake and bag up leaves as they fall
-Yard waste needs to be placed in the proper compostable bags, not trash bags
-Pick up trash
-Keep your yard tidy, it is not to be used for storage!
-Shovel, salt, and sand driveways and sidewalks when it snows
Residents of single family homes and duplexes are responsible to ensure that leaves and debris are raked and removed from grass and landscape areas and disposed of regularly.
Because it is against MN state law to put yard and tree waste in your garbage or to use regular plastic trash bags to dispose of yard waste, it is important to know the approved methods to dispose of yard waste where you live. Burning of leaves or yard waste on the property is prohibited. Below is information on approved yard waste disposal methods where you reside:
* Brooklyn Park residents can drop off their yard waste free of charge at the Maple Grove Yard Waste Site or arrange for pickup by private carrier. Visit https://www.brooklynpark.org/garbage/yard-waste/
* Columbia Heights requires that yard trimmings and waste be bagged and placed at the trash collection point (separated from trash) in COMPOSTABLE bags - Yard Waste Collection Ends the last week of November on your garbage day of that week. See https://www.columbiaheightsmn.gov/departments/public_works/refuse_and_recycling/departments/public_works/yard_waste_organics.php for more details.
* Coon Rapids residents can drop off their yard waste free of charge at several Anoka County sites. Visit https://www.anokacounty.us/361/Brush-Tree-Yard-Waste
* Minneapolis provides yard waste pickup as part of their weekly garbage service. Yard trimmings and waste must be bagged in Kraft (paper) bags, COMPOSTABLE plastic bags (not regular plastic trash bags), or placed in an approved reusable plastic container and placed at the trash collection point on trash day (separated from regular trash) for pickup. Yard Waste Collection ends in mid-November on your garbage day of that week. Call 612-673-2917 or visit http://www.minneapolismn.gov/solid-waste/index.htm for more information.
* Ramsey County has several yard waste disposal facilities in St Paul where residents can take leaves and yard debris free of charge. Visit https://www.ramseycounty.us/residents/recycling-waste/collection-sites/yard-waste for free yard waste disposal sites. Alternatively, residents can arrange for pickup by their trash provider for a fee.
You can also hire Housing Hub to take care of these tasks for you, just give our office a call!